Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Homework February 14, 2010

Wikipedia

Before this assignment, I was not familiar with NPR (National Public Radio). Now I'm more up to speed on NPR.

Wikipedia is a resource that I've used quite a bit in the past. I've always trusted this source. I was never aware that the facts on the site may or may not be truthful. Thanks to Mr. Virgil Griffith for creating the Wikipedia Scanner. Maybe this will help with some of falsehood that may be on Wikipedia. Although I feel that Wikipedia is awesome resource for general information, I will no longer take the information that I obtain from Wikipedia to be 100% facts without researching other sources.

I think that Wikipedia can still be used a source but not the only one. We shouldn't ever just use one source for any reason. We just know now to be cautious when using the information from Wikipedia and to know that some important facts may not still be there.

What I've learned this year.

I feel inspired and ready to teach after reading this blog. It's so true and all about the students. Mr. McClung is so helpful with his ideals about his first year teaching and will most likely be some of the same issues we will face our first year in the classroom. I plan to take his ideas and make them useful in my classroom. If we learn from other people's experiences it should help us with our experiences.

My favorite parts was when he said that we should be constant learners and not to be afraid of technology. He said to jump in head first. That's what most of us are doing now with EDM 310. I'm so grateful for this opportunity because without it I would have been a technological illiterate teacher who never used technology in my classroom. Now I see the importance and am looking forward to the future as an effective educator.

1 comment:

  1. You are exactly right about not just taking one resource as the only one we use in our research. We need to use multiple resources and check them against one another.

    ReplyDelete